• News
  • eNews
  • Connections
  • Specials
  • Videos
  • Events
  • Event Calendar
Milestone: Henkel used 700 million bottles made of 100% recycled plastics in Europe
Source:Adsale Plastics Network    Editor:JK    Date:05.Jan.2021

Henkel is reaching a milestone in its engagement for sustainable packaging: The company used almost 700 million bottles made of 100% recycled plastics for Laundry & Home Care products in Europe – more than 400 million alone in 2020.

 

The recycled material stems from post-consumer waste, including Social Plastic from Henkel’s partnership with the Plastic Bank. By increasing the number of packaging made of recycled material, Henkel has been working to contribute to a circular economy and climate protection: Recycled PET has an almost 80% lower CO2 footprint compared to virgin plastic.


1_web.jpg

Henkel used almost 700 million bottles made of 100% recycled plastics for Laundry & Home Care products in Europe.


“At Henkel, we promote sustainable packaging solutions and foster a circular economy along the value chain – because we are committed to live up to our responsibility as a consumer goods manufacturer,” said Abdullah Khan, Head of Packaging Sustainability Laundry & Home Care at Henkel.

 

Khan further noted, “We are increasing the share of recycled material across our entire portfolio and many packaging includes recycled plastics already. It is not always possible to advance to 100% – also due to the limited availability of high-quality material. Nevertheless, we have significantly expanded the number of consumer products with bottles made of 100% recycled plastics. Reaching the 700 million mark is both a great achievement and a motivation to further accelerate our efforts.”


The packaging made of 100% recycled plastics cover a broad range of Henkel’s brands and categories. Most PET bottles within Henkel’s Laundry & Home Care business in Europe are already converted to 100% recycled material.


3_web.jpg

The bottle of Pril Pro Nature is one of many in Henkel’s portfolio which are already converted to 100% recycled plastic.


These include bottles for dishwashing, hard surface cleaning, fabric finisher and laundry brands such as Pril, Mir, Pur, Somat, Bref, Biff, Sidolin, Clin, Silan and Vernel. For example, the PET bottles of the Pro Nature product range are made of 100% recycled plastics, 50% of which is Social Plastic.

 

Social Plastic, originating from Henkel’s partnership with Plastic Bank, contributes both to environmental and social causes: The recycled plastic has been collected in countries without functioning recycling infrastructures by people living in poverty before it enters oceans or waterways.

 

Progress has also been made in the Beauty Care portfolio: Recently, Henkel’s hair and body care brand Nature Box was the first beauty brand to introduce Social Plastic as a packaging material for its complete bottle portfolio: All bottle bodies of Nature Box are made of 98% Social Plastic – and Henkel is currently working to replace the remaining 2% virgin plastic, which are based on the bottle’s color, with the recycled material as well. For that, the company is already testing a color carrier consisting of Social Plastic.


2_web.jpg

The bottles of Henkel’s hair and body care brand Nature Box are made of 98% Social Plastic.


The use of post-consumer recycled plastics is an important pillar of Henkel’s packaging targets for 2025. The company is working towards the target to reduce the amount of virgin plastic from fossil sources in its consumer product packaging by 50% by 2025.

 

To reach this goal, Henkel aims to increase the proportion of recycled plastics to more than 30% by 2025, reduce the absolute plastic volume and increase the use of biobased plastics.

 

In addition, 100% of Henkel’s packaging will be recyclable or reusable. The company also wants to help prevent waste from being disposed of in the environment. In order to achieve this, Henkel is supporting waste collection and recycling initiatives, for example.

Like

0

Leave A Comment

Submit

All Comments

Articles You'll Like